ChiWalking® will help you:
- improve your posture
- strengthen crucial core muscles
- relax tight and overused muscles
- gain cardio and aerobic conditioning
Whether you are a fitness walker already, want to manage or release weight, are rehabilitating after illness or injury, or have signed up for a walking event and want support, ChiWalking will help you reach your personal goals, including looking and feeling better than ever.
The Five Mindful Steps are used throughout the book and program to reinforce the body-mind component inherent in each step:
- physically with your posture
- mentally with your intentions
Engage Your Core
- physically with your lower abdominals to create stability
- mentally by using your will power
- physically between your upper and lower body and between the right and left side of your body
- mentally by creating a balance and holistic fitness program
Make a Choice
- physically to walk with inner strength and grace
- mentally by making the small positive choices that make a difference in your life
- physically with consistency and confidence
- mentally with focused spaciousness
These Five Mindful Steps take you through an entire health and fitness program that will leave you energized, and looking forward to each walk. Combined with good nutrition, you will have a strong foundation for lifelong health and energy.
The ChiWalking program offers 12 different types of walks to create a balanced and exciting health program. The "menu" of walks includes: a Cardio Walk, an Aerobic Walk, a Flexibility Walk, a Loosening Walk, a Focusing Walk, an Energizing Walk, a Walking Meditation and more. The walks are presented in the ChiWalking book in a detailed and understandable way, then summarized in an easy to read matrix which shows the key benefits of each walk.
The ChiWalking technique emphasizes the proper biomechanics of walking including: good posture, loose joints, engaging one's core muscles, and relaxing the peripheral muscles of the arms and legs. This approach makes walking easier on the body and helps improve and eliminate the aches, pains and discomfort of walking incorrectly. Since walking is such a basic, every day movement, when your walking form is improved, the benefits are far reaching.
This program has been taught to thousands of people with profound results. ChiWalking is sister to ChiRunning which has had a significant impact on the sport of running.
ChiWalking has within it the deep philosophical and psychological attributes of the centuries-old practice of T'ai Chi, which presents the opportunity for spiritual exploration and the integration of body, mind and spirit. ChiWalking takes the benefits of walking beyond cardiovascular, aerobic and mental health, by addressing the needs of your whole person; joints and muscles, body and soul.